Benue Killings: Agatu Council Boss Seeks Establishment Of Military Base


BY JULIET EKWENUGO

Markudi


The chairman of Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State, Hon. Melvin Ejeh, has called for the establishment of a military base in Agatu communities following renewed attacks and killings in the area.


Ejeh made the call while reacting to a peaceful protest staged by displaced residents of Agatu communities who demanded urgent action to end the persistent attacks and enable them return to their ancestral homes.


Hundreds of internally displaced persons (IDPs) and youths from Agatu had on March 13 and 14, 2026 blocked sections of the Oweto–Otukpo highway near the Oweto Bridge to draw attention to the continued killings in their communities.


The protesters, many of whom have been living in makeshift shelters after fleeing repeated attacks, carried placards with inscriptions such as “Stop Agatu Killings Now,” “Save Agatu Land,” and “Let Us Return to Our Farms.”


They accused armed Fulani militants of driving them out of their ancestral villages and called on the federal and state governments to urgently intervene to restore security in the area.


Among their demands were the deployment of adequate security personnel to Agatu communities, safe return of displaced farmers to their lands, dismantling of armed groups operating in forests and rural settlements, and protection for farming activities ahead of the planting season.


Agatu, a predominantly agrarian area in Benue State, has witnessed years of violent attacks linked to the broader security crisis in Nigeria’s Middle Belt, resulting in the destruction of several communities, displacement of thousands of residents and loss of lives.

See also  Timi Frank Raises Alarm Over Alleged Assassination Plot Against Atiku


Reacting to the protest, the council chairman commended the residents for demonstrating peacefully and said he understood their frustrations.


“I want to say that I understand why the protesters embarked on this peaceful action, and they have every right to protest and demand the opportunity to return to their ancestral lands,” he said.


Ejeh disclosed that he had begun consultations with relevant authorities to facilitate the establishment of a military base in Agatu communities in order to strengthen security and restore confidence among residents.


According to him, the proposed military presence would be equipped with modern operational equipment to effectively respond to security threats in the area.


He said the troops, when deployed, would also work closely with local vigilante groups to enhance protection across affected communities.


The council chairman stressed that the people of Agatu had endured years of violence and instability and expressed hope that strengthened security measures would enable displaced families to return safely to their homes.


He further revealed that discussions had already been held with the Benue State government and military authorities overseeing Operation Whirl Stroke on the need to improve security in the area.


Residents expressed hope that the renewed attention to the security situation would help restore stability and bring an end to the persistent attacks that have disrupted farming and livelihoods in the communities.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/thenewsf/public_html/wp-content/themes/Newspaper/includes/wp_booster/td_block.php on line 1009

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here